On Sufyān bin 'Abdillah Ath-Thaqafī رضي الله عنه he said: I said: O Messenger of Allāh what do you fear the most for me? He took hold of his tongue and said: "This."
Authenticated by Shaykh Al-Albānī رحمه الله
Points of benefit:
- The warning against the evils of the tongue.
- The Prophet ﷺ feared the evils of the tongue the most for a companion from the companions so how much more so for us?!
- The importance of using the tongue for that which pleases Allāh.
- The importance of returning back to the people of knowledge in order to get religious directions.
- The Manhaj of asking about that which is a harm and/or that which is feared in order to stay away from it.
- Teaching by way of physical demonstration in order to stress the point of benefit and concern.
- Mentioning the benefit from one's interaction with a scholar and/or one's question and answer from the scholar so that others benefit from the answer.
- Virtues of the Sahaabah رضي الله عنهم being that they are the ones who have conveyed to us the religion after the death of the Prophet ﷺ.
- The respect and honor of the Sahaabah رضي الله عنهم had for the Prophet ﷺ as they addressed him as being the Messenger of Allāh.
- The Sunnah of the Prophet ﷺ is all inclusive, as this narration deals with observing the proper etiquette of the tongue.